The ultimate cold weather comfort food braised short ribs with red wine! The combination of red wine with slow cooking makes the ribs fall off the bone tender and taste amazing. These ribs can be paired with mash potatoes or egg noodles, but today I decided to take it up a notch and make spinach and orzo pasta.
Short Rib Ingredients
- 4 pounds of beef short ribs, bone in
- Season salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- 2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
- 1 bottle good quality dry red wine. (I use Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 4 cups beef stock
- Sprinkle ribs with season salt and fresh ground pepper
- Heat the canola oil in a large frying pan.
- Sear the beef ribs on each side until brown transfer to slow cooker.
- Add the onions to the frying pan and sauté lightly
- Add the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaves, and rosemary. Mix well, add beef stock and red wine. Bring to a boil.
- Add mixture to slow cooker.
- Cook low for 7 – 8 hours. Alternatively, 4 – 5 hours on high.
- Remove ribs from slow cooker by now the ribs should have fallen off the bone if not remove them
- Strain the liquid and discard the solids. Skim the fat and transfer to a medium sauce pan bring to a full boil. Continue cooking until the liquid has reduced to about half.
- Pour over ribs and serve immediately.
Spinach and Orzo Pasta Ingredients
- 4 oz. Orzo Pasta cooked al dente
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Two garlic cloves minced
- 4 oz. Julienned shredded fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese, Shredded
- Fresh cracked pepper and pink Himalayan salt
- Heat Olive oil
- Add garlic toss do not let brown
- Add spinach and cook until just wilted
- Add pasta, salt and pepper. Toss and fluff.
- Sprinkle with cheese to coat.