Ever wonder how some people are so successful in life, while others who work just as hard get nowhere. Successful people are highly motivated, driven and goal oriented. Goal setting increases motivation and is a powerful tool for turning your dreams into reality.
If you Fail to Plan, You Plan to Fail
Goal setting requires detail planning on how and when you plan to accomplish your goal. Each week should begin with a weekly plan detailed with what you plan to accomplish each day. Spend the first hour of each day evaluating and updating your list.
Step 1: Write a list of goals
“The discipline of writing something down is the first step toward making it happen.” Lee Iacocca
1. Make a list of everything you would like to accomplish. Include both short and long term goals.
2. Prioritize goals by determining what you can accomplish in one year or less.
3. Subdivide your yearly goals further into monthly, weekly, and daily goals. This way you are constantly working toward completion of your goals.
Step 2: Develop an action plan
“Your life will be no better than the plans you make and the actions you take. You are the architect and builder of your own life, fortune, and destiny.” Alfred A. Montapert
Your action plan is a detailed plan that includes your criticial path and all the necessary steps needed to reach your goal. This is your blueprint toward sucessful goal achievement.
1. Goal Statement – develop a clear and concise statement for each goal you want to accomplish.
2. Tasks – list of individual steps needed to complete each goal
3. Timeline – how long it takes to complete each tas 4. Status – shows progress toward completing each task to reach your goal
To write a book on “How to add 10 years to your life” that is at least 150 pages in length and gets completed by 6 weeks.
— Develop an outline (1 day)
— Write at least 5 pages every weekday (20 pages total per week)
— Complete first draft (6weeks
Step 3: Implementation
“A good plan implemented today is better than a perfect plan implemented tomorrow.” George Patton
Implementation is the final step of the goal setting process. This stage is critical because it is where you launch and monitor the plan. Launching the plan provides a starting point for the activities, and constant monitoring keeps you focus.
As you move through the plan check off completion of task and milestones. Celebrate your accomplishments both small and large as you move toward goal achievement.